Sunday, December 21, 2008

Best! Run! Ever!

Today the plan was to finish up the week with a four and a half mile run to wrap things up with 43 miles logged for the week of December 15 thru 21. But a funny thing happened –today’s run turned out to be one of the best runs I’ve ever had! What’s that word? Synchronicity? I think that word describes it best. Everything just fell together for a fantastic run. Four and a half miles at a 9:10 pace and that’s a good tempo workout for me.

Now that the run is over and I’ve showered and had a post run snack I’ve been thinking about this run to see what made it so good. I’ve come up with four main ideas:

1. The temperature. During today’s run the temperature was in the high twenties with just a slight breeze.

2. I ran later in the day for a Sunday than usual –after downing a pot of hot coffee and not before.

3. I took about a thirty minute cat nap prior to this run.

4. and last but not least: for some time now (in fact for a year) I’ve felt, I don’t know how to describe it really, but funny concerning my left leg –it’s felt tight or weird or something. So I’ve had this suspicion that maybe my left leg is a tiny bit shorter (?) than my right, somehow “out of balance.” So today I made a little home made “orthotic” out of a paper towel and put it in my left shoe. And viola! Through this run my left leg felt…perfect!

So hopefully I’ve learned a trick or two with this run and can replicate it again in the future. If not…oh well. You can’t have sunshine every day in life, you know. : )

1 comment:

Mz Kat said...

I find this to be one of the greatest mysteries of running. What makes a good day a good run? Why can't we have them every time? I've had cases where I felt like I was flying through my workout even though the circumstances just didn't add up- I had eaten spicy food before, not enough sleep, etc.

The funny thing is that if I have a bad run, I'm just more likely to go out the next day and try it again... this time sure I will get different results. Striving towards perfection I believe is what keeps us going.